The arrival of warmer temperatures and days spent in the open air means our skin care rituals must change with the season. Exposure to heat and conditioned air begs for thorough cleansing, intermittent exfoliation, and lightweight hydration, keeping skin refreshed and revived. KOKOBÉRNA founder details the best skin care regimen for summer.
Summer Skincare Ritual: Few Layers
A typical summer of hot and humid/dry days calls for minimal layers in your skincare routine.
Proper cleansing is the most important thing to do.
If you’re in a humid climate, and it’s hot and sticky, your skin produces more oil and sweat. You’ll have more bacteria too (they feed on sebum). Pollutants, makeup, and sunscreen mix and get stuck with this sebum too. This oily, sticky mass is a recipe for clogged pores. Therefore you’ll need an oil-based Cleanser that can remove all that oily matter especially as we tend to wear more sunscreen, which is oil-based. Chemistry 101: it takes oil to remove oil. If you’re using a water-based cleanser and you wear sunscreen, it’s possible this might be the cause of skin issues because gels and water cannot break down oil.
If you are going someplace where the air will be very dry (low humidity), your skin will get dehydrated quickly. The dry air will suck out all the moisture. In these situations, a cleansing balm/cream is nourishing especially if it is oil-based.
The most important thing in an oil-based cleansing oil/balm/cream is that the oils are nutritive and that the cleanser emulsifies – turns milky when it comes into contact with water, and rinses away easily.
Exfoliating is great for keeping clogged pores clear and excess sebum production at bay.
In addition to getting rid of dead skin cell buildup, especially if you’ve been in the sun sweating awhile, our Radiant Earth Brightening Mask includes botanical alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) complex consisting of 15% glycolic acid, 31% lactic acid, 3% citric acid, and 1% tartaric acid from grape (vitis vinifera), lemon (medica limonum), passionfruit (passiflora quadrangularis), & pineapple (ananas sativus) to reveal healthy, smooth skin.
With age and sun damage, skin cell turnover is not as fast and using a brightening mask helps to break down pigmentation damage from the sun, and smooth skin as well as draw out impurities from clogged skin cells goes a long way.
Face oils and fatty butters have been used for centuries in West African skincare - leaving skin strengthened, soft, and resilient. The outer layer of skin is composed of skin cells surrounded by fatty lipids.
Over time, we strip and overly cleanse skin thereby stripping away the fatty lipids that hold up your skin, keeping it strong. When you lack these fatty lipids, your skin loses strength and softness, it loses water faster, and your skin barrier becomes more susceptible to damage. Lipids also make up over 50% of all cell membranes and therefore extremely important to skin.
Lipids are composed of fatty acids so if your skin is aging, easily irritated, or constantly oily looking, it means you need to rebuild your skin’s lipid levels by nourishing it with fatty acids.
Which is why face oils are an extremely rich source of fatty acids, they penetrate easily to repair damaged skin, providing highly nourishing for the skin, and an excellent blocker preventing further damage from environmental stressors while delaying internal skin water from evaporating into the air locking in moisture.
THE 3-MINUTE SUMMER RITUAL
- Dispense 4 to 6 pumps of CLEANSING MILK into the palm of your hand. Apply to moist face and neck. Using small circular movements, as you massage the cream, it turns into a delicate milky texture creating a real sensory surprise. Then, massage deeper to remove last traces of makeup. Rinse off.
- Scoop MASK into palm of hand and mix with few drops of water and 3 pumps of CLEANSING MILK. Apply to face and neck and leave on for 5-10 minutes, then wet fingers and massage in before properly rinsing off with lukewarm water. Wipe off with a facecloth leaving skin slightly damp.
- Moisten a cotton pad with an exfoliating plant-based AHA-BHA TONER. Apply to cleansed face and neck using circular, upward motions. Wait 10 seconds for skin to dry before applying mist.
- Apply clouds of MIST to the entire face and neck.
- Place 4-5 drops of the FACE OIL in the palm of your hand. Gently slide, do not rub, palms together to activate. Place full hands on either side of face and press firmly. Push serum into skin. Repeat on entire face, eye area, and neck, until fully absorbed. Use fingertips to evenly blend across skin.
Don’t forget to apply sunscreen last but before makeup. The Top 3 sunscreens we love:
- Chanel UV Essentiel Anti-Pollution Broad Spectrum SPF
- Zelens Daily Defence Sunscreen SPF 30
- Clinique City Block Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 25
As with many things in life, it is all about balance; from your diet, lifestyle choices, and skin care treatments. May you always be beautiful.