The arrival of warmer temperatures and days spent in the open air means our skin care rituals must change with the season. Exposure to heat and conditioned air begs for thorough cleansing, intermittent exfoliation, and lightweight hydration, keeping skin refreshed and revived. KOKOBÉRNA details the best skin care regimen for summer.
Summer Skincare: Few Layers
A typical summer of hot and humid/dry days calls for minimal layers in our skincare routine.
Step 1: Double Cleanse
Proper cleansing is the most important thing to do.
If you’re in a humid climate, and it’s hot and sticky, your skin produces more oil and sweat. You’ll have more bacteria too (they feed on sebum). Pollutants, long wear makeup, and oil-based sunscreens mix and get stuck with this sebum too. This oily, sticky layer on the skin is a recipe for clogged pores. Therefore we recommend an oil-based Cleanser that can gently remove all that sticky matter especially as we tend to wear more sunscreen in summer.
Chemistry 101: it takes oil to remove oil. If you’re using a water-based foaming cleanser and you wear sunscreen, it’s possible this might be the cause of skin issues because gels, surfactants, and water cannot break down oil. Even if they do, their alkaline irritates the skin when you might need to cleanse twice (double cleanse).
If you are going someplace where the air will be very dry (low humidity), your skin will get dehydrated quickly. The dry air will strip all the moisture. In these situations, a well-formulated cleansing balm/cream/oil can be nourishing and even helps to calm skin inflammation and soothe redness.
"The most important thing with a cleansing routine during summer is to cleanse once in the morning and to cleanse twice at night."
Exfoliating is great for keeping pores clear and excess sebum production at bay.
In addition to getting rid of dead skin cell buildup, especially if you’ve been in the sun sweating awhile, our cooling Skin Polish includes ancient grains such as turmeric and red rice powered by botanical alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) complex consisting of 15% glycolic acid, 31% lactic acid, 3% citric acid, and 1% tartaric acid from grape (vitis vinifera), lemon (medica limonum), passionfruit (passiflora quadrangularis), & pineapple (ananas sativus) to reveal healthy, smooth skin. This is also a perfect skin exfoliant for those with heat-induced melasma.
With age and sun damage, skin cell turnover is not as fast and using a brightening polish helps to break down pigmentation damage from the sun, and smooth skin as well as draw out impurities from clogged skin cells.
Face oils and fatty butters have been used for centuries in West African skincare and throughout time from Ancient Egypt - leaving skin strengthened, soft, and resilient. The outer layer of skin is composed of skin cells surrounded by fatty lipids.
Over time, we strip and overly cleanse skin thereby stripping away the fatty lipids that hold up your skin, keeping it strong. When our skin lacks these fatty lipids, due to numerous factors including premature aging, your skin loses strength and softness, it loses water faster, and your skin barrier becomes more susceptible to damage. Lipids also make up over 50% of all cell membranes and therefore extremely important to skin.
Lipids are composed of fatty acids so if your skin is prematurely aging, easily irritated, extremely dry, or constantly oily looking, it means you need to rebuild your skin’s lipid levels by nourishing it with fatty acids.
Which is why face oils are an extremely rich source of fatty acids, they penetrate easily to repair damaged skin, providing highly nourishing for the skin, and an excellent blocker preventing further damage from environmental stressors while delaying internal skin water from evaporating into the air locking in moisture.
THE 3-MINUTE SUMMER PM RITUAL
- Remove eye makeup with eye makeup remover wipes or micellar water.
- Dispense 4 to 6 pumps of CLEANSING MILK into the palm of your hand. Apply to moist face and neck. Using small circular movements, as you massage the cream, it turns into a delicate milky texture creating a real sensory surprise. Then, massage deeper to remove makeup and sunscreen. Rinse off or wipe off with a damp wash cloth.
- Dispense 4 to 6 pumps of CLEANSING BALM into the palm of your hand. Apply to moist face and neck. Using small circular movements, as you massage the oil, it turns into a delicate milky texture creating a real sensory surprise. Then, massage deeper to remove last traces of makeup and sunscreen. Rinse off or wipe clean with a damp wash cloth.
- Scoop ÈDÍYÈ ÍDÉM™ Polish into palm of hand and mix with few drops of water and 3 pumps of CLEANSING MILK to form a paste. Apply to face and neck and leave on for 5-10 minutes, then wet fingers and massage in before properly rinsing off with lukewarm water. Wipe off with a facecloth leaving skin slightly damp.
- Moisten a cotton pad with our exfoliating plant-based nighttime ESSENTIA NOCTIS™ Toner, an acid toner to help boost collagen production and enhance deep penetration of our HEALER'S GOLD Face Serum and Face Oil. Apply to cleansed face and neck using circular, upward motions. Wait 10 seconds for skin to dry before applying mist.
- Apply clouds of MIST to the entire face and neck.
- Place 4-5 drops of the FACE OIL in the palm of your hand. Gently slide, do not rub, palms together to activate. Place full hands on either side of face and press firmly. Push serum into skin. Repeat on entire face, eye area, and neck, until fully absorbed. Use fingertips to evenly blend across skin.
But before we get into our favorite sunscreens, make sure this is the last step before makeup, as needed. What we mean is that toners, serums, face oils, and other skincare treatments should be applied and absorbed into skin prior to applying sunscreen.
The Top 3 sunscreens we currently love:
- Relevant 4-in-1 Daily Moisturizer SPF 40
- Zelens Daily Defence Sunscreen SPF 30
- Badger Sport Mineral Sunscreen Cream SPF 40 (Tin or Cream)
As with many things in life, it is all about balance; from your diet, lifestyle choices, and skin care treatments.
May you always be #kokobernabeautiful.